Sunday, February 14, 2010

Salsa Fresca, Valentines and More

We made halibut tacos the other night and topped it with the most delicious salsa fresca, I had to share.  Plus, I just love pictures of beautiful, colorful produce.  And when my kids are included, even better!  The salsa recipe was given to me by my friend Paul, who learned it in an Allen & Peterson cooking class.  The bell peppers were an excellent addition, and Teagan LOVED the stuff.  She just ate it off a spoon and asked me to make it the next night.  See below for the recipe.  Here she is with some of the vegetables and sampling the halibut.

Salsa Fresca
2-3 tomatoes, diced
1/4 each yellow & green bell peppers, finely chopped
1 jalapeno seeded & finely diced
1/4 of a large onion, finely chopped
2 T. cilantro, chopped
2 T. lime juice
1 T. olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

For the halibut, I just made a dry rub out of chili powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, and pepper, coated the halibut in olive oil and a little lime juice, coated it with the rub, and cooked in my cast iron skillet at high heat till done.  Served on warm corn tortillas with salsa fresca and sliced avocado.  Yum!

For Valentine's Day, Teagan made hearts with pencils for "arrows" since they weren't supposed to bring candy.  Although lots of the kids did bring candy.  I guess it probably would have been worse if they hadn't told people not to bring candy.  Here she is after completing all of the valentines and laying them out to dry.  And here is Aidan with THREE suckers in his mouth after the party at his daycare.  He is a glutton for sweets!  Plus some photos of Teagan after her hair cut the other day, and making a bracelet with some beads she got for Christmas. She loves to make stuff.

3 comments:

Rhiannon said...

What a fabulously heavy on the photo post. I don't really know the proper punctuation for that sentance, punc-queen, but I'm sure I'm missing a comma or two.

Lookin' good, I like Teagan in all the super pink, girly outfits. It seems so foreign to me. I especially love the valentines all laid out.

Keep 'em coming! Maybe something from me sometime??

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment. Things are looking up around here. The salsa looks delicious. I am impressed - Alaska produce keeps looking better. Teagan has grown so much! She looks very grown up.

My favorite is your banner photo. Hope to see you sometime.

Rhiannon said...

I keep checking for another post... where is it?? :)