Friday, January 22, 2010

I is for seeking Improvement

I sort of suck at Scrabble, but I want to be better!  I want to kick my friend Kelley's butt!!  Therefore, I am seeking improvement.  I am studying two letter words, like aa and mo, and words without vowels, like hmm and shh (or hm and sh), and q words without u, like qat and qi.  The Scrabble dictionary is a mysterious thing, really, quite unlike any normal dictionary I've ever seen.  Don't expect to find all of the normal words in it, and you can be certain there are a lot of really odd words that you would never use in day-to-day life.  I was particularly disappointed to discover that "fart" is not in the Scrabble dictionary.  Really?  Fart isn't a Scrabble word???  "Bitchen" is, however, in the Scrabble dictionary, I was delighted to learn on Sunday evening as Kelley and I battled out our second game of the night.   




I also just finished reading the book The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.  I loved it.  I love the writing style and the mix of pop culture/history/fiction.  I loved all of the new words I had to look up.  I probably won't remember many of them this time, but if there's one thing I've figured out as I've gotten wiser (read: older), there is nothing like a lot of books under your belt to help build a vocabulary (which goes hand-in-hand with adding years under the belt as well).  Happy Scrabble to you, my friend(s).

1 comment:

Rhiannon said...

I have three things to say...

1. When it said improvement, I thought it was going to be about the house remodel. I was pleasantly surprised.

2. I hate scrabble. But I love two letter words... to, it, as we, etc.

3. You are really making me want to start blogging again!! But who has the time?

Very enjoyable post.